Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Feeding into the stereotypes!


I am in the store. I see two little boys. One of the boys looked to be about seven years old and the other three years old. I wanted to beat both of their hindparts. They both had on baseball caps...turned backwards. But, that is not what ticked me off! I was so mad because both of these little boys were SAGGING their pants. First of all, how are you going to go out in public and let your three year old sagg his pants with a pull up on?

What kind of males are we raising? Are we raising them to fit every stereotype that they have for African American males? I wanted to pull that young mother to the side and school her. However, she was fitting every stereotype that they have for young black women. At that point, I was just confused. I didn't know whether to school her on her or her on her kids. What in the world!

1 comment:

  1. Girl! I recently visited a church on Youth Sunday. There was a little girl on the program around five or six years old with stilletos/hooker shoes on. She had trouble walking to the front to do her part. I was done. Everyone looked like what the what? The sad thing is, they looked like they were her size; bought specifically for that CHILD to wear. The woman she was with was dressed the same way. She's raising a young hoochie. Sad to say, but true.

    ReplyDelete